The holidays bring more guests in the home than any other time of year. For those that enjoy hosting the holidays, it is essential for individuals to keep their homes as safe as possible, so they may remain in the home longer. Unfortunately, falls are the leading cause of home injury deaths, claiming nearly 6,000 lives per year, according to A Secure Life.
Their study also found that between 20-30 percent of adults who fall in the home often suffer hip fractures, head traumas and lacerations. In the bathroom alone, the Centers for Diseases Control and Prevention states, “approximately 235,000 people over the age of 15 visit emergency rooms because of injuries they suffered.” Of those injuries, roughly two thirds occurred while bathing or showering.
Oftentimes, simple home modifications can help prevent falls and other injuries in the home. As you prepare for the holidays, now is the perfect time to consider updating your home for enhanced ease of living. In order to decide which updates you might benefit from, consider the following:
- Does anyone have balance issues or a history of falls?
- Does anyone use a mobility device such as a walker or wheelchair?
- Do any family members or guests require assistance?
- Are there areas of the home that are nonfunctional or difficult to access?
For more ideas and questions to consider, download our Get Wiser Self-Assessment.
Homer’s Wise Tips for the Holidays
Keep your friends and family safe during the holidays with these home modifications:
- Remove or secure throw rugs
- Install easy-to-reach clothing rods and storage
- Place grab bars in the shower and near toilets
- Add extra lighting and handrails on both sides of staircases
- Install a barrier-free shower
- Ensure all beds and toilets are at a height for easy transfers
- Install low-pile carpeting or hard surface flooring
LifeWise Renovations construction + medical experts work with you to assess and develop the right plan for increased mobility, functionality and accessibility.