As many of you know, family caregiving is not a part-time job, an easy job or a job you can turn on and off when you want. Caregiving for loved ones can seem like a full-time job on top of your full-time job. That’s why this year’s theme for National Family Caregivers Month is “Caregiving Around the Clock” (Caregiver Action Network).
According to the National Alliance for Caregiving, those providing unpaid care for at least 21 hours a week have been doing so for 5.5 years on average. With many of these family caregivers also working full time, studies show that emotional stress is often high as well.
The following are more staggering statistics of caregivers in honor of National Family Caregivers Month!
- 5 millions American adults provided unpaid care in 2015 alone (National Alliance for Caregiving).
- Though their work is unpaid, the value of family caregivers’ services is estimated to be about $375 billion annually (National Alliance for Caregivers and Evercare).
- The amount of adult children caring for a parent via personal care and/or financial assistance has more than tripled in the last 15 years (MetLife).
- 42 percent of caregivers care for a parent and 14 percent care for a child (AARP).
- Roughly 5.7 million adult family caregivers care for someone with Alzheimer’s disease or dementia (Alzheimer’s Association).
- 8 million caregivers (or 16.6 percent) on average provide care to adults with disabilities or illnesses (Coughlin).
Our team at LifeWise Renovations wants to thank family caregivers for their dedication, as well as assist you by lifting some of the burden that can come with caregiving. We offer remodeling solutions and renovations to support easier transfers and better accessibility around the home, from barrier-free showers and shower seats to installing low-pile carpeting and grab bars.
LifeWise Renovation’s affordable remodeling services and certified team of health care professionals makes us the trusted source for aging-in-place and universal design. Learn about our Four-Step Wise Process and download our Get Wiser Self-Assessment to your home’s remodeling needs.